Friday, June 01, 2012

{banana}

How far along? 20 weeks! (+ 1 day) baby is the length of a banana!
Total weight gain: 10 pounds.
Maternity clothes? Mostly shirts, and elastic pants or pants the next size up (1/3, depending on the brand)
Stretch marks? Had a horrible scare this week, but I'm happy to report that nope, no stretch marks still. A remark I made generated a lot of hate on fb about how upset I would be if I got them. Seriously, who would be happy? And no, I don't consider them "badges" or "proof" of carrying my child. I have proof. For instance, with Aldon I have the proof of a nice emergency C section scar... you don't really get any more physical proof than that. I don't think they "ruin" anyone's body or make a mom ugly or anything like that, it's just something that I would rather not have. sheesh.
Sleep: is non existant, for the most part. I'm the last to go to bed at night and the first one up in the morning, plus waking up in the middle of the night.
Best moment this week: Keegan got to feel a ton of movements! Lots of kicks and rolls.
Miss Anything? I'm not afraid to admit it- alcohol. I miss being able to kick back with a glass of wine (hell, maybe even two) after a long day. Or just any day, if I felt like it. And especially now that the weather is warming up, sangria sounds divine.
Movement: Baby really loves when I rock in the rocking chair, that's the only time s/he will move a lot.
Food cravings: LEMONS. In any form.
Anything making you queasy or sick: nothing comes to mind!
Gender: I thought we would be able to have my 20 wk ultrasound today, but I guess not. More on that later.
Labor Signs:
are a long ways away!
Symptoms: This week brought on the lower back pain that plagued me with Aldon. Oh joy. I remember sitting in class with him and never being able to get comfortable because the chairs would just KILL my back (I was in class until literally the day until I had him, and went back when he was a week old. Full time. Yea, I'm a badass...) It sucks.
Belly Button in or out? In
Wedding rings on or off? On
Happy or Moody most of the time: Happy!

Looking forward to: Scheduling an appt with the perinatologist! (again, keep reading!)

I met with my new doctor here in Ohio for the first time this week, and it is such a relief. I loved my old OB, and may or may not have had unstable thoughts about kidnapping him and making him practice in Ohio because I didn't want to switch.... Aaaannnyway.... I had a great first impression from this doctor, especially about the whole TOLAC/VBAC vs planned c section debate swimming around in my head. I loved when he reassured me that if I opted for TOLAC/VBAC, and even at like 8 cm "decided labor sucked" (as he put it), I could just "throw in the towel" and request my c section, no questions asked. 

I'm still undecided what route I want to take- I didn't have a fun time having a c section with Aldon; recovery sucked, I felt sort of disconnected from him until he was about 2 weeks old because I never even got to see him be born and didn't get to take part in taking care of him (other than nursing, of course) since I was stuck in bed recovering. The pain meds I was given didn't do anything for me, but I was refused anything else and kind of felt like the nurses were treating me like a mini drug addict in training or something. However, having a c section is all I know, and that knowledge (even if it wasn't fun) is comforting versus the unknown. 

I also loved how my OB made sure to make me feel like there was no pressure to decide either way, he would support my decision whatever I chose. I've mentioned how comforting a repeat c section sounds before to some other moms, and I've been met with the "well why wouldn't you want to go natural" talk, as if that route is bad parenting (fun fact: normal labor and delivery is actually more stressful on a baby than a c section, so I learned today. Yea, shove it).

Also, since the Cleveland Clinic is ginormous, it was pretty comforting to know there's three CC hospitals within minutes from my house for whenever I go into labor! Back when I was pregnant with Aldon and living up north, I had to drive an hour to get to a hospital that could deliver a baby. Huge difference. 

The disappointment in today's visit? No 20 week ultrasound :( Ultrasounds are the best part about being pregnant! (Well, other than the baby itself, I suppose. maybe.) Since I'm in the big city now, I'm referred to a perinatologist for all ultrasounds, I have to call and make an appt on Monday :) 

In other news, sweetie pie Aldon so far is taking his job as a big brother in training very, very seriously! He points out all the other babies we see, no matter where we are. He also is obsessed with my belly, and is constantly yanking my shirt up to "see" the baby, talk to him/her, and give snuggles and kisses. Here he is doing just that: 
:)

1 comment:

  1. I know he's such a sweetie! Except for when we're in public, then I would appreciate keeping my shirt down and him not telling every single person that momma has a baby in her tummy lol

    And no, that comment was not directed at you! We did talk about it, but I feel like you know where I'm coming from, too, since we had similar experiences.

    Lemon poppyseed muffins are delicious. Thank you for adding to my cravings! I think Keegan and Aldon are getting so sick of lemons being in everything lately lol

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what's happening with you!