Tuesday, January 28, 2014

DIY Finger Paint

Like most of the midwest, the weather here in NE Ohio has been frigid and not for the littles to be able to play in. So, we've been resorting to lots of messy indoor play to break up the monotony  of the day! 

I have had this recipe for homemade finger paint for a couple of years now, since Aldon was an itty bitty. What I love about it- it comes together in minutes, is super cheap to make, completely safe if he eats some of it (because let's face it, that always happens!), and clean up is a breeze- even dried on to the table, walls, and floor, warm water is all that I've ever needed to wipe it up. It's also gluten free- while we don't suffer gluten sensitivity in this house, I know some children cannot even handle touching gluten so this recipe is perfect for those in that boat! 



Here's what you'll need: 

  • 1/2 c corn starch
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 tbs sugar
  • 2 c water
  • food coloring of choice (liquid drops or gel)
And here's how to make it come together:
  • pour all of the ingredients except food coloring into a small pan. Heat over medium-low heat until it starts to thicken, stirring occasionally. It may form clumps at the beginning, that's ok just stir them in well. Take off of the heat and set aside. The paint will continue to thicken as it cools. 
  • Pour food coloring into the container(s) you will be using to hold the paint. I really like using these 2 oz condiment cups. Pour in some of your cooled paint and stir to mix in the color. Let it finish cooling if needed, and then let your Picasso go wild!
  • Yields 16 oz of paint

Baths may be necessary after painting ;)
A few tips:
  • If the paint gets too thick, it can be thinned out with water. Just be sure to stir well so there aren't any lumps. 
  • I prefer to let the boys use cardstock to paint on- this paint is a little wetter than store bought varieties and regular paper tends to rip. 
  • I hasn't stained any clothes or surfaces on me, but as a precaution my kids are always stripped down for painting. Messy play= nekkid play ;)
  • I store any leftovers in the fridge. The salt acts a preservative in the recipe, but to be on the safe side I always keep it in the fridge. Not that it lasts very long in this house!
 I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! 
Tomorrow I'll share another favorite indoor sensory activity- homemade "cloud dough"! :) 



1 comment:

I'd love to hear what's happening with you!